Authorities say there is no indication of any additional threats to the Nashville Metro area after an explosion rocked the Downtown neighborhood on Christmas morning (December 25).
A press conference was held in Nashville by officials from the Metro Nashville Police Department, FBI and ATF on Saturday afternoon (December 26) to give an update on the latest information discovered in the ongoing investigation. Each of the authorities present at the press conference said they receive 500 tips since the time of the incident, and are continuing to sort through each lead in hopes of determining who was responsible for the explosion and why it was done.
Metro Nashville Police Chief John Drake emphasized to all that Nashville has been deemed as safe, and there are no current threats to the city.
“Let me reiterate, Nashville is safe,” Chief Drake said while asking anyone with more information to call in their tips to the FBI or Crimestoppers.
While many reports suggested a person of interest had been determined, officials said they could not confirm any person or individuals of interest at this point in the investigation.
Another question asked upon the authorities was in regard to possible human remains found at the scene, in which they said they are working to determine the tissue and do not have any further clues about the point.
As hundreds of federal and state investigators keep searching for more answers, Tennessee Governor Bill Lee has requested an emergency declaration from President Donald Trump. No word on if the president will move forward with said request.
The city of Nashville has been impacted greatly since the explosion, which happened around 6:30 a.m. Friday on 2nd Avenue South and Commerce Street. About 40 buildings have been damaged as a result of the explosion and many people are without phone service as AT&T’s generators were affected.
The Federal Aviation Administration has also classified the airspace above and surrounding the area of the bombing as “National Defense Airspace.” The restrictions are in effect until December 30 through 4:45 p.m. CST. This comes after the Nashville International Airport was forced to temporarily halt all flights out of BNA Friday afternoon. Most flights are now resuming, but travelers can expect delays.
As for the first responders that provided aid and proper evacuation before and during the explosion, Chief Drake is grateful for their dedications to their jobs and to the city.
No one was killed in the explosion, but three were hospitalized for their injuries, according to the update from authorities. They also believe the act was “intentional,” and there is no motive at this time.
This story is developing and Sounds Like Nashville will update readers when more information becomes available.